13th and 14th State Lines and Arrival in Boston

13th and 14th State Lines and Arrival in Boston
Thursday 27th June, 2019
Day 48

Location: Brattleboro, VT to Burlington, MA
Distance: 90 miles.
Temp:  62 - 87 F sunny
Dew point:  61 F
Winds:  calm

Cumulative climbing distance:  5,289 ft (1+ mile)
Cumulative descending distance:  5,416 ft

 
Crossed our 13th and 14th state lines today and entered our 14th and 15th states – New Hampshire and Massachusetts. 
 
We are now in the outskirts of Boston and poised for our final 17 miles to Revere Beach on Friday morning.
 
The biggest challenges today were the climbs.  I knew about the climbs yesterday, was mentally prepared for the challenge, and paced myself.  Today as the day began, however, I was already tired from yesterday’s climbs.  I knew we had some hills to climb as we transversed through New Hampshire, but I did not pace myself nor did I expect the steepness or length of several climbs, nor did I expect the cumulative climbing distance for the day – 5,289 ft.  And then we biked 90 miles over this hilly terrain.  Thus, this was a long exhausting day, which was compounded with saddle sores from all the uphill pedaling yesterday.
 
 

 
 
On a very positive note, I did have an unexpected surprise as I arrived at our hotel.  A greeting party with welcoming signs. I could heard the cheering as I rounded the final turn but could not yet see anyone.  I first saw Ben with his sign standing by the hotel entrance driveway.  Then as I entered the driveway I saw Meaka, Anthony, Pam, Gabby, Judi and a few others riders standing at the hotel entrance with their welcoming signs.  I major surprise and a heartfelt thanks to all of you all for your support.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Early morning fog crossing the Connecticut River and into New Hampshire.
 
Single lane covered bridge from the 1860's.
 
 
Biking through the hills.
 
 
 
You know you are in New England when you see moss-covered rocks and white Congregational churches.
 
 
 
 
Entering Massachusetts and the last of the wide-open highways for this trip.
 
 
I have only seen this terminology, "Thickly Settled", used in Massachusetts.
 
 
Award banquet.
 
 
 

Each rider received a completion certificate.  Only 5 riders successfully rode every inch of the 3440 mile trip.  They also received a special certificate.
 
 
  
In addition to the completion certificates, several individuals received special recognition.  Judi received this shirt (all done in fun) for her support of Ken and the entire group especially at the SAG wagon stops.  We all saw these shirts as we past through Hooker, OK.
 
 
 
The 4 signs, used during the trip, was awarded to a few individuals for special recognition.  I received this sign for my determination and perseverance to complete each day.
 

 
  Meaka, Anthony, Pam, Gabby and Ben joined us at the Award Banquet.


Tom F. and his wife, Fran, gave each rider a pair of these beautiful Xmas ornaments.  One contained sand from Manhattan Beach at the Pacific Ocean and the other sand from Revere Beach at the Atlantic Ocean.

 Jeff and his wife, Kathy, gave each rider a lovely designed T-shirt and an invite to visit them at their upstate NY home.

Comments

Popular Posts